Thursday, January 24, 2013

Until we can manage time, we can manage nothing else –Peter F. Drucker



We are all given the same 24 hours in a day. How we choose to use them is critical, especially in nursing. The pace of nursing is increasing and the patient population is changing. A term often used in our nursing courses is “sicker and quicker.” The patients being admitted to hospital units are sicker than they have ever been and their length of stay is shortening. Nurses are busier than ever, making time management one of the most important tools a nurse can possess. This is also important for nurse managers who have to be productive in managing and coordinating the work of others. 

“Time management is a deliberative process of identifying and focusing on the activities needed to accomplish tasks and goals…It involves the skills of planning organizing, implementing, and controlling.” (Huber, 2010)


Time Management Strategies

Mastering the skill of time management is essential in order to effective and efficient in our role as a nurse, nurse manager, or even a student nurse. Some helpful strategies include:

  1. Analyzing and Prioritizing: take a minute to think about your day. What needs to be completed? Make a to-do list. After you have made your list determine what the most important tasks are. Do those first! This should be a continuous step!
  2. Plan Ahead: nursing can be unpredictable. With its fast pace, this step can be especially challenging. Think through your day. What are potential problems you could encounter? Develop a plan for dealing with problems, emergencies and distractions.
  3. Delegate: this can be one of the most difficult tasks for nurses. Delegation is a skill that influences clinical and financial outcomes! It is important to remember that we CANNOT do everything on our own! We must work as a team in order to achieve the best possible outcome. Utilize staff and resources in an effective manner to make your job easier and improve the quality of care. Click here for more tips and advice on how to delegate effectively!
  4. Learn to Say NO: time is a limited resource that we need to learn to manage effectively. It is important for nursing leaders to evaluate how their time is allotted and how to say no to certain requests. Not every request can be honored. Evaluate what is most important. Say no in a positive way. Avoid the guilt! It is okay to be firm, but polite in your refusal! (Staples, 2013)

    Appropriate time management allows us to achieve goals, be successful and reduce our stress levels!


    Huber, D. (2010). Leadership and nursing care management (4th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Saunders Elsevier
    Staples, S., (2013). Nurses, learn to say no. NurseTogether. Retrieved from: http://www.nursetogether.com/Lifestyle/Lifestyle-Article/itemid/1565/Nurses-Learning-to-Say-NO.aspx

2 comments:

  1. I found this post enlightening. As a third year nursing student, I feel that I should have time management skills down to a science by now but this is not the case. I often feel more unorganized now then I did at the beginning of the program. This post it a great way to revisit and refresh time management strategies that we will use for the rest of our nursing careers.

    I found the importance with the relationship between delegation and time management. Recently, we had a high number of new float nurses come through our unit for orientation. The task of delegation, I found for the new nurses was an especially difficult task. I do not know if it was because of a lack of trust for the nursing assistants, as we have not yet built that team relationship or if they was about control or wanting to prove that they could complete all of the task on their own. Whatever the reason was there was a lack of delegating and this was a skill that many of the orienting nurses were looking for in the new team members

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some would think I would be a master at time management since I am in nursing school, working, and raising my daughter, but I don’t. I feel like there is not enough time in a day to complete everything that needs to be done. This post gave me some great strategies to utilize to improve my time management.
    I make "to do" lists all the time. I then check the tasks off as I complete them in the order of importance. I try to stay as organized as possible! Easier said than done RIGHT?
    One thing I need to work on is being able to say "no". I have a hard time with this and I think it is because I don't want to let anyone down. This causes me to become more stressed and overwhelmed.
    At work I try to organize my day by tasks that need to be completed. I also check in with the nurses frequently to see if there is anything I can to for them or with them. This helps the nurses complete things on time and shows them that I am reliable.

    ReplyDelete